11.15.2007

I love coffee shop solitude

I going to a coffee shop alone.

No, I'm not anti-social. There are just moments that you'd like to share with nobody else but yourself.

Here are 13 reasons why I enjoy those solitary coffee shop moments.

1. I get to think without interruptions.
2. Contradicting that first point, I also like letting my mind wander aimlessly. I like sitting in my chair with that cup of coffee in my hands and just daydream.
3. I often write poetry when I'm in a coffee shop, and I'd rather do writing alone.
4. It's my escape from a crazy, crazy, crazy work day.
5. I'm at peace with the smell of roasted coffee beans. Aaaah.
6. Coffee shops are quiet. They're not busy like restaurants. I'm sure nobody would want to talk to me there anyway, so it's the perfect place for those "I want to be alone" moments.
7. I don't want to share my biscotti. One selfish point. Kidding! Not really. No.
8. I can read in peace!
9. I can people-watch subtly.
10. All the browns in the coffee shop center me. I love the color brown that's why. When I'm all frazzled, brown anchors me.
11. I enjoy the jazz music played. No talks to interrupt listening to the music.
12. I think coffee is very personal. It's not like alcohol that's best enjoyed with friends. Coffee is a very intimate drink to me.
13. I can leave when I want to. I'm not forced to leave because someone doesn't have a seat. Somehow there's always a seat waiting for you in a coffee shop. So welcoming, isn't it?

Yep, these are my 13 reasons why I my coffee shop solitude. And I'm off. I guess you know where I'm going now!


(Thursday Thirteen for Technorati)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

You make it sound wonderful. Considering I like me some alone time and coffee I'm surprised I've never done the coffee shop thing before.

Toni said...

Hi Lynn! Do try it. It makes for great quiet moments.

Anonymous said...

Oh how I miss some alone coffee shop time! New Orleans was the best for that!!

Unknown said...

I agree with all 13 100% but make my biscotti a brownie and I am so there. Glad I chose your blog for my weekly random 13, T13 visit. You did a great T13 and I now feel the desire to head to a coffee shop...will have to make do with a cup of java at home though.

Heather said...

ME TOO! Great list. I am so with you. I dropped by my local coffee shop this AM.

Raggedy said...

It sounds like a wonderful experience!
Terrific Thursday Thirteen!
My TT is posted.
Have a wonderful day!
Happy TT'ing!
*^_^
(=':'=)
(")_ (")Š
Raggedy

Anonymous said...

I love the smell of coffee but I never acquired a taste for it. You list makes me want to start drinking...coffee that is!! Thanks for stopping by! :-)

Janet said...

Makes me want to go RIGHT NOW!

Sparky Duck said...

sounds like a great coffee shop, though the starbucks today was perfect, me and the employees

Toni said...

Secret Agent Mama: Never been to New Orleans but heard it's full of culture and good music. And good ribs. :D

Sassy Lucy: When you have the time, do visit a coffee shop and enjoy your solitude!

Madame Rubies: And I'll be dropping by mine soon!

Raggedy: Yes, I always enjoy these moments.

Kat: Well, give it a try! Who knows? ;)

Janet: Enjoy!

Sparky Duck: Yup it's a really cool place. Starbucks is also nice.

Thanks for dropping by everyone!

Anonymous said...

Me too! In fact I have done a lot of writing at quiet tables in coffee shops.

Anonymous said...

The reason I hand over so much money to big corporate store Starbucks is because I love the atmosphere, the music, and the adult-style treats (not too sweet, but very rich).

I love to take my laptop to SB to work. It's almost like having a break while working...

Toni said...

Nicholas: Coffee shops give such solace and inspiration, don't they?

damozel: You get what you pay for! ;)