11.15.2007

I love Before Sunrise


I the movie Before Sunrise.

It was near midnight. I had rented a laser disc (LASER DISC!!!!!!!) of this film because of Ethan Hawke the cutie and Julie Delpy the pretty. There was a party at home but I decided to lock myself in the den and watch this movie. With a White Russian in one hand and a brie-topped cracker in the other, I settled into my red beanbag and pressed PLAY.

Guy named Jesse meets girl named Celine on train. Conversation strikes. Stopover happens, somewhere in Vienna. Get off train together. More conversations -- deep, intellectual, funny, one over stolen wine. Talk, talk, talk. Walk, walk, walk. The more they talked and walked around, the more they started f a l l i n g without their knowing. It's a beautiful love story that unfolds slowly, subtly and then WHAM! The romance hits you in the gut and when the last scene fades out, the romance lingers. Do they or don't they? Did they or didn't they? Will they or will they not?

I love the film because it's hopeful. I love the story because it's real (it friggin' happens). I love what Celine said -- "I like to feel his eyes on me when I am not looking." Winner line there! I love how these two strangers started baring their souls to one another. It's been said that it's easier to talk to a stranger than it is to talk to a friend, right? Maybe not in all cases (who knows who that stranger will turn out to be) but yeah, in SOME cases, like this one, well... you just might find a kindred soul.

A stranger can be a soulmate waiting to be discovered.

I wanted to take another drink when the credits rolled. The folks outside the den were doing shots and going nuts, but I chose to take my liquor back to the den, back to my red beanbag, back to my thoughts on the romance between two strangers that happened before sunrise.

No comments: